Shooting for Family Events

Home Forums Photography Q&A Shooting for Family Events

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  James Staddon 4 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Melanie Thomsen
    Participant

Good afternoon!

Two questions for the webinar and anyone else who has some input!! 🙂

1) Indoor Lighting. One of my greatest challenges as a photographer is photographing indoor events. The lighting can be a challenge, particularly when the windows are behind the subjects I need to photograph! My current lens is a 28 – 135mm with it’s lowest aperture being 3.5. Am I needing to look for an external flash (not the one in camera) or a lens with a lower aperture to be able to shoot these lighting situations clearly? Below is a sample picture (from a family gathering) of the kind of lighting I’ve experienced (ISO 1000, 135mm, f/8.0, 1/30sec, handheld). Input welcome!

2) Developing a personal style. I’m so excited to finally feel just about ready to start developing a more specific personal shooting and editing style, beyond just taking good pictures. Any suggestions on developing that special twist that makes one’s photography unique?!

Thanks so much!

Melanie Thomsen
    Participant

Picture below 🙂

Attachments:

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

“Indoor Lighting. One of my greatest challenges as a photographer is photographing indoor events.”

It’s exactly the same for me and I was thinking of asking this question, too! 🙂 So I’m very interested in the answer. Hopefully it’s ok if I add another question to this forum topic, Would a speed-light be something to consider for this type of stuff?

Jinny Schober
    Participant

I’ve had trouble with indoor lighting too! I am also interested in this answer. 🙁 On the lens I use for portraits, the lowest f-stop is 4.5, which is kinda too narrow for indoor lighting! I’m thinking I’ll get a lens with a much lower f-stop toward the end of the year when prices are lower. I was thinking about speed lights too, that is, if I can afford that additionally! 😉

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Two more great questions, @melaniethomsen! Thanks for being specific, and providing an example. Will attempt to begin some discussion on these in the webinar tomorrow….https://lenspiration.com/photography-qa-with-lenspiration-sep-16/

This is EXACTLY the type of light I face at every single event I shoot and hold Photography Teams at, so there should be plenty to talk about. And yes, A speed lite is definitely something I never forget when packing my bags for an event.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest