Lightroom questions again

Home Forums Photography Q&A Lightroom questions again

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ezra Morley 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Frazer Family
    Participant

How do I go about exporting only some photos from one catalogue to another in LR? Also, is it possible to have two catalogues open at the same time?

Ezra Morley
    Participant

Select all the photos that you want to export, then go to File > Export as Catalog
    Save that catalog file somewhere on your hard drive, then go back to Lightroom and select File > Import From Another Catalog

I pretty sure you can’t have 2 catalogs open at once. You can switch between 2 catalogs any time you like with File > Open Catalog feature, but you can only run 1 of them at a time.

Frazer Family
    Participant

OK. Thanks! I’ll try that.

Frazer Family
    Participant

I’m good at messing things up… πŸ™ I did successfully export and import the photos, but in the process the photos are the wrong place on the HD. Can I move them in Finder and then just rename my folders in LR to line up with that? Or do I have to re-import all the photos from the correct location on the HD?

Ezra Morley
    Participant

Always move files inside of Lightroom, that way LR can keep track of them. πŸ™‚

You can just drag and drop them to the folder where they belong (in the left LR panel of the Library Module), and it will move them on the disk to the correct location.

Frazer Family
    Participant

OK. But the folder in which they belong doesn’t appear in the left LR panel of the Library Module. What I see there is:

Adam
    I. Pictures
    A. Pictures
    1. Daddy and Mommy
    a. 2015
    b. 2016
    c. 2017

What I want to see is:

Adam
    I. Pictures
    A. Sarah
    1. 2015
    2. 2016

So how do I get that?

The “Sarah” folder under “Pictures” on Adam (the name of the computer) already exists, (I can go there in Finder) but all it currently contains is Sarah’s LR catalogue, no photos.

Ezra Morley
    Participant

I can’t quite visualize your folder structure there, but you can go to the top-level folder and right-click, then select “Show Parent Folder” to show more folders. If your target folder doesn’t exist in LR at all, you may have to move the folder in Finder, then “Update Folder Location” in LR after that.

Frazer Family
    Participant

Sorry. I tried to make it as clear as possible, but this forum doesn’t keep my indentations. That was exactly what I trying to say, though: the target folder doesn’t exist in LR. Or at least it isn’t visible… but it is in the correct place in Finder. How do I update folder location?

Frazer Family
    Participant

I’m feeling intelligent today! I think I just figured it out. πŸ™‚ That was a lot faster than starting over on the import! Thank you for your help!

Ezra Morley
    Participant

πŸ™‚ The pleasure is mine!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest